Keto Flu Soup
Want to crush the "keto flu"? Make yourself a big pot of this tasty-and-effective Keto Flu Soup! It's specifically designed to deliver valuable electrolytes, which can help lessen the keto flu. Great for veteran ketoers too!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock (NOT broth!)
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 6 cups frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, FRESHLY shredded (about 6 oz)
- 18 tbsp hemp seeds (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
Heat butter in a large, tall pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms, stirring frequently until browned and softened, about 7-10 minutes.
Add chicken stock, almond milk, water, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil on high.
Add frozen spinach, reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes. Break spinach into chunks as it thaws.
Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for 10 minutes.
If you want to blend the hemp seeds into the soup, add them to the soup in this step. (See notes.)
Using an immersion blender or regular blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
If using a blender, return soup to the pot.
Over medium heat, add the shredded cheddar cheese in batches, stirring until fully incorporated. (If stirring in the whole hemp seeds, do so at this step.)
Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. (If sprinkling the hemp seeds on top, sprinkle 3 tbsp on top of each bowl.)
- There are three ways to incorporate the hemp seeds. You can: 1) Blend them until smooth with the rest of the soup ingredients; 2) Stir them in whole into the entire soup; or 3) Sprinkle them on top of each individual bowl (3 tbsp per bowl).
- The chicken stock I use (Swanson Chicken Cooking Stock) contains 510mg sodium per one cup. If you use a chicken stock with less sodium, you’ll need to add more salt. Make sure you use chicken STOCK, not broth, to ensure a heartier flavor.
- Do NOT use pre-shredded cheese in this recipe; the anti-caking agents added to the pre-shredded cheese will cause clumps.
- Per serving: Sodium: 1,196mg / Potassium: 878mg / Magnesium: 208mg
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.5g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 31g | Sodium: 1196mg | Potassium: 878mg | Fiber: 3.6g